Saturday, October 9, 2010

My First Dotee Dolls

Since I received my first dotee doll from Lisa Ahmad a few months back, I have wanted to sew one too. For those who are unfamiliar with dotee dolls, these are the creation of Dorothy Christian (Dot), and are named after her. Dotees are small handmade dolls that usually measure between 4 to 6 inches tall and have a loop on the top of the head for hanging. They also have a tail hanging from the bottom of the doll. The tail is usually made of beads. These dolls are embellished with beads, embroidery floss, buttons or anything else the artist chooses to use. People make and swap these dolls like ATCs.

Well, I finally took the plunge and here's my first hand-stitched dotee dolls to the theme "Pretty in Pink", embellished with tatted rose. One is going to Lisa Hunter in USA.

Snail mail has been slow this past week, expected a few things to come in, but they didn't. Anyway, here's another leaf received from Maria Davis - leave sketched out of tyvek, painted & heated, then stitched to fabric. And "B is for Bee" ATC from Carolyn Mathis.


This CD doll just came in from Barb Glasier.

Thank you, gals!

2 comments:

BSOTF said...

Singertatter,
Your Dotee Dolls are very lovely! You are so lucky to have such good friends that keep inspiring you in things to try & make! Plus you are so lucky to get things from your friends to share with all of us. I'm thrilled for you! Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Singtatter said...

Hi BSOTF, thanks for visiting my blog regularly. Hope everyone in the family has recovered from chicken pox by now. I have vaccinated myself and my 2 eldest children against chicken pox, but not in time for my youngest, she went down with it, and it was a terrible fortnight!