Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Bye Bye, Connecticut!! Hello, New York!!

17 Oct 2013 (Thu), overcast/sunny, 17 deg C.
I dared not venture too far from Norwalk on my own, so I took cab to Darien today, to the Bates-Scofield House.  I was walking straight into a 18th century farmhouse!  It was built around a massive central chimney with a huge fireplace and beehive oven, the house is an original Darien farmhouse thoughtfully restored to its origins. 
Darien is a nice little quiet town.  I took a long stroll around and managed to see some nice autumn colours.

Before I knew it, I found myself close by the train station, and decided to find my way back to Norwalk by train.  Not many people around to ask for info, the office was locked and I was walking up and down the platform almost in despair.  But, I managed to hit the right person for help and I was finally on the train back to Norwalk for a salad in Chocopologie before heading back to hotel.  

I did a sum, couldn't believe I chalked up US$215 in cab fares for just 5 days!  I had looked up the option to take public bus but the place is big, houses are far and between, few people on the pavement, I hardly notice any bus or bus stop. Even cab is difficult to flag off the road and has to be called. Oh well, this was our last night in Connecticut. 

18 Oct 2013 (Fri), sunny, 15-19 deg C.
Left Dolce for New York on a chartered bus with DH.  They dropped me outside Columbus University and I made my own way by Metro to Lower Manhattan to meet ..(drum beat).. Nina!  Yes, Nina Libin in person!!  Nina stays in a neat little apartment, I was so impressed with her computer system - 2 real huge monitors side by side, set up by her husband, oh wow! And of course a feast on the eyes seeing all her tatted jewellery with all those beads!  Ate a simple lunch with Nina and I tried my first goat cheese and almond milk!  Love the tastes! 
I couldn't stay long though and had to rush back to check in Le Parker Meridien, catch a quick dinner and then to The Metropolitan Opera House to catch Vincenzo Bellini's "Norma".  Hubby's classmate bought the ticket, but they had night lesson, so I went!
The opera ended around 10.40 pm.  So many people were trying to flag for cab. The hotel wasn't far, but my sense of direction was poor and the night was dark and cold.  Never mind, I could get back on foot, and I did, but not before walking in the wrong direction part of the way and asking for directions.  I did have a local phone with google map, but at times, I just couldn't figure out which direction it was pointing!  


Maureen said...

I would certainly have become completely lost - so were very brave to take all these adventures on your own. Wonderful pictures, and I hope you enjoyed the Opera - I think that would have been my favourite thing to do.

Singtatter said...

Yes, Maureen, going to an opera is always a treat! More photos coming!!

Crazy Mom Tats! said...

Nina is such a wonderful person - I'm so glad you got to meet her!

sounds like a terrific trip!